FAQs about Cosmetic Dentistry
What is cosmetic dentistry? How is it different from general dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry incorporates both art and science to give you a healthy, flawless smile. General dentistry is aimed at maintaining the health of your teeth and gums. Cosmetic dentistry offers treatment options that improve and preserve the way your smile looks and feels.
Common cosmetic treatments include:
- Teeth whitening
- Contouring/tooth reshaping
- Dental implants
- Tooth-colored fillings
- Smile makeovers
How long will each cosmetic treatment take?
Just as every smile we treat is unique, so are the treatments we provide. While cosmetic treatment times may vary, some treatments are completed within one office visit.
Does insurance cover cosmetic dental care?
Insurance coverage and out-of-pocket expenses for cosmetic treatment vary depending on your plan. Smile Cape Coral will work with you to provide a choice of treatment options, and we will coordinate with your insurance provider, if coverage is available. All treatment costs will be provided up-front so you can choose the best payment plan for your needs and your budget.
What makes a good candidate for teeth whitening?
The ideal patient for teeth whitening:
- Is in good dental health
- Maintains good dental health (i.e. brush three times a day, floss, receive regular dental checkups every six months, etc.)
- May suffer from slightly discolored or yellow teeth
- Wishes to improve the look of their smile for aesthetic purposes
- Is in good physical health
Does teeth whitening have side effects?
Teeth whitening is safe and effective procedure. Most patients do not experience any negative side effects. Minor side effects may include:
- Increased tooth sensitivity to hot or cold
- White spots on the surface of the teeth (a potential side effect of at-home whitening systems)
- Nighttime whitening trays may cause additional gum sensitivity or irritation.